Friday 17 June 2016

Return to Dilham Fishery

I have been back to Dilham Fishery a couple of times; once this week and once last week and had an enjoyable day's fishing each time. Last week I moved round to peg 8 or 9 where the water was slightly more clear of weed around the margins. Having lost sizeable fish that had shot straight into the weed I didn't want this to happen again. However, having said this, the spot wasn't as fruitful as peg 2 and I was catching mostly rudd and one or two crucian carp (see below). Later on when peg 15 became free I moved round to this as it had been recommended to me. Here I caught three reasonable size tench and this was one of them:-


This fish is about 13 inches in length and probably weighs between 1 and 2lb. I also had a very nice mirror carp to finish the day of maybe 3lb.

I also went down to the fishery on Tuesday afternoon and headed straight back to peg 15. The weather has been warm and muggy of late and it has been inducing some thundery showers. Before one of these curtailed my fishing in the early evening, I had one or two nice bream such as this one:-


This fish is about 13.5 inches long. It seems that the lake bream a prone to getting some sort of skin disease as this fish had sort of white nodules around its head and this is not the first time I have seen this. I also had a couple of crucian carp of which this is an example:-


This fish is about 10.5 inches. I had a brief take of a larger fish but it came off the line. I think one of the problems of this fishery is the quantity of rudd in the water. They are so numerous that they tend to snatch the bait before anything else can get to it and so is a bit of a nuisance.

All text and pictures are copyright Duncan Hale-Sutton 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment