Sunday 24 January 2016

An hour before dark

Having been busy for most of the day I had an hour's fishing at sunset before going in for a cup of tea. The weather was really mild again today. Overcast this morning but starting to improve towards the end of the day. At dusk there was virtually no wind.

Just outside the door of where we are staying there is a small inlet of water just sufficient to moor a single small boat. Not having much time I thought I  would give it a go with the same tackle and bait as I was using yesterday. I have known the water on this side of the house go really dead in the cold weather but I suspected that it might prove productive again now that it had warmed up.

I had a fish biting as soon as the float hit the water. A very small perch to start. I intended to keep a mental record of how many of each type of fish I was catching but I got into conversation with someone and that went out of the window. Several small roach followed and then I had some success with a decent perch that needed to be landed with the net. 8 ounces maybe. More small roach followed. By then dusk had fallen and it was getting difficult to see the float in the water. Before it got really dark I hooked another good size perch but was it the same one I had put back earlier? It looked to be about the same size. It wouldn't be the first time I had caught the same fish more than once but that's another story.

All pictures and text copyright Duncan Hale-Sutton 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment