Tuesday 26 January 2016

Another fine pair of perch

Not a great day to go out fishing as the wind was blowing in strong gusts and it was hard to stop things flying into the water. I lost my hat twice but I caught it before it got wet. I went out a bit earlier than yesterday and back to the same spot I had caught the large perch last night. It is still mild (10C) but it didn't feel it. It was also very overcast.

I was fishing with the same light gear on a pole rod (which is difficult to handle in stiff wind). The fish were still there and I began catching a few roach which were a bit larger than yesterday (don't ask me why). Quite soon into my couple of hours at the quay I caught this lovely 27cm (11 inch) perch:


It gave a good account of itself and it felt nice to haul in with the flexible pole rod. It probably weighs about 14oz. A bit later I had this one as it was getting towards dusk:



This is very similar in size, perhaps half an inch shorter and probably weighs just over 13oz. I don't think it is the same fish as it has a less pronounced 'hump' on its back. As a guide for weight I have been using this table that I found on the internet:-

Inches .....lb ozs
9 ..... 0 12
10 .....0 13 ¼
11 .....0 14 ¾
12 .....1 0
13 .....1 4 ½
14 .....1 9 ¾
15 .....1 14 ½
16 .....2 5 ½
17 .....2 13 ¼
18 .....3 5 ½
19 .....3 15 ¼
20 .....4 9 ½
21 .....5 5 ¼

I must get some scales and weigh these fish for myself. For interest, the way I measure the length of these fish is to photograph them with the disgorger seen. Then in a photo editing package I measure the length of the disgorger and the length of the fish and knowing that the disgorger is 12.5cm long, scale up the size of the fish appropriately. For example, the fish in the first picture above was 1410 pixels long. The disgorger was 651 pixels. This means that the fish is (1410/651)x12.5=27.1cm. To get this to inches multiply by 0.394, so this fish is 27.1x0.394=10.7 inches.

All pictures and text copyright Duncan Hale-Sutton 2016 (except for the table of perch length/weights).

No comments:

Post a Comment