Tuesday 30 April 2019

Feeling positive about Dilham Fishery

I have been to Dilham Fishery a few times before and I haven't always been that positive about fishing there. I would like to redress this because, actually, I think it definitely has its merits. I have been a couple of times recently; once on the 12th April when it was overcast and quite cold and then again on the 16th April when things had warmed up a bit. The good things I can say about this lake is that it is nicely laid out, it still only costs £5 for the day if you are using one rod (it is definitely the cheapest day ticket in the area) and on a cold day they have a very nice clean and warm toilet facilities with hot running water where you can unfreeze your hands! Fishing wise the species you can catch is quite diverse and it is not like some places where it is like fishing in a barrel and you end up pulling one carp out after another. You have to work at it.

Both times when I was there recently I ended up fishing the second peg from the toilet block. There are plenty of places by that spot where carp might hide out - in the reeds to the right of you, in the reeds on the far bank to the left and under the lily pads opposite. I concentrated on the margins to the right and fed sweetcorn regularly into the shallows. Float fishing a piece of corn near the bottom I caught a few small carp that first day, the most unusual of which was this fantailed carp:-



I think this is a crucian but it might be some sort of hybrid. Anyway note how all the fins are very enlongated. This fish is about 37cm or 14.6 inches.

On my return on the 16th April I didn't catch any carp but I did catch this nice roach (although it may be a roach/rudd hybrid) at about 2.45pm:-


This fish is about 25cm in length or 9.7 inches. This image shows the margins of where I was fishing:-


Towards the end of the day, at 4.22pm, my swim feeding efforts were rewarded with this 32cm or 12.7 inch bream:-


and about an hour later this 20.4cm or 8inch tench:-


All text and pictures copyright Duncan Hale-Sutton 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment