Thursday 19 January 2023

Freezing temperatures but enjoyable

I was down at Neatishead staithe again yesterday (Wednesday 18th January) and it was pretty cold. Fortunately, the latest spate of freezing weather hasn't closed off the water with ice but you could see it gathering further down Limekiln Dyke. The sun was out but this made little difference to the temperatures which were only just above freezing.

It was pretty as you can see from the picture I took above. I also had the place to myself apart from a spate of three visitors who chatted to me about fishing and wildlife. I didn't mind. It looked like the fishing was going to be hard work with bites few and far between but I had an early roach that at least needed a net to bring in. The pike were lively. There was one feeding voraciously in the water near the back of the boat in the picture. I kept seeing big swirls and it made me wish I had brought some pike gear.

In the end I did ok. I didn't keep a tally but I had quite a few roach, about three or four perch and a ruffe. Nothing of any size to write home about. The kingfishers were busy flying up and down the dyke and had obviously been fishing nearby as I heard it plop into the water after a fish. There were also a couple of herons, one of which looked like he wanted to nab a fish from me rather than get his own. Just before I left I thought I saw a big otter heading out.

All pictures and text copyright Duncan Hale-Sutton 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment