Thursday 5 January 2023

New Year's Day fishing

 


I had a couple of hours of pleasant fishing last Sunday (New Year's day) down at Neatishead Staithe. I arrived about 2pm and set up near the entrance to the dyke (see above). The weather had been pretty still for most of the day and it wasn't too cold (perhaps 8C). The staithe does sometimes get quite busy with fishermen but there was only a couple of others there when I arrived. The guy opposite was fishing for pike and he did land one whilst I was there (probably not much more than 5lb).

I was 'fishing for silvers', as they say, using some red maggots which I had had some time. I had thought that the hard frost that we had before Christmas had killed them all off (even though I had kept them in the shed) but somehow they miraculously recovered. Saves having to buy more!

I had a steady stream of fish in the two hours I was there. I kept a rough count and it amounted to about 13 perch and 12 roach. The perch were not of any size but there was probably one that was that I lost. A couple of the roach were a bit bigger but nothing to report about until the end of the day. Some roach I think were probably roach/bream hybrids as they have that more slender look about them and aren't as coloured in the fins.

The best fish of the day came as it was getting dark (4pm) and was my last fish:-

Knowing the length of the disgorger shown (13.8cm) this fish is 23cm or 9 inches in length. It weighs about 10oz. It was a bit battered and looked like a pike had been at it.

All pictures and text copyright Duncan Hale-Sutton 2023


No comments:

Post a Comment